Looking for best practices on how forward-thinking organizations are designing and delivering family-friendly initiatives? Not sure how to get started or where to begin? The Child Care Action Council can help. >> Contact us
The benefits of being family friendly. Whether your organization is large or small, supporting the work life balance of your employees makes good business sense. Implementing family friendly initiatives can be simple and inexpensive and result in significant benefits to your bottom line.Can you afford not to? Lagging behind means less skilled applicants for jobs and losing current employees, especially those who become pregnant, who may decide to leave a workplace which does not offer them flexible working arrangements.Benefits for employees
- Greater ability to manage their workload and time at work
- More time to provide necessary support to their family or dependents
- More time to participate in the community (sports, hobbies and volunteer work)
- A more balanced and enjoyable life – increased health and productivity
Benefits for employers:Cost savings.
When an employee leaves, you not only lose their valuable knowledge and networks, you spend time and money on advertising, interviewing new staff, induction, training and reduced productivity during new staff hand-over. It has been estimated that to replace an employee can cost 38 per cent of their annual salary. Therefore, to replace an employee on an annual salary of $45,000 costs you $17,000. The cost may be as much as nine months’ salary for a specialist.
Absenteeism can require other staff to work overtime or paying short-term contractors and extra supervision which all reduces productivity. Flexible practices can reduce absenteeism as employees can take a few hours off to attend a child’s medical appointment for example, rather than take a sick day.
Reduced office-related overheads
Giving staff the ability to work from home can save office-related overheads. It is also better for the environment as there is less commuting required. Be recognized as an employer of choice and attract skilled workers. Demographic and social changes mean more workers are looking for flexibility
- More women caring for children as well as aging parents and partners are also looking for paid work
- More fathers want to have more time with their family
- More older workers are looking to phase into retirement
- Gen ‘X’ and ‘Y’ place greater value on work life balance
If you become known as a family friendly flexible employer you will increase the number of skilled applicants for jobs.Increase productivity
- Increase morale, motivation and productivity
- Increase loyalty, commitment and support
Increase customer satisfaction
- You may have greater ability to meet the demands of clients or customers – for example, through flexible start and finish times that increase the span of hours your business operates
- More relaxed staff provide better service resulting in increased customer satisfaction
Enhance your brand and reputation
- Be recognized as a ‘good corporate citizen’
- Greater workforce equity and diversity
- Compliance with industrial and anti-discrimination legislation
- Potential for improved occupational health and safety records
Workforce of Today, Workforce of Tomorrow
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Center for Education and Workforce has released a report to explore the under-recognized role of high-quality childcare in the education and workforce pipeline. By laying the crucial groundwork for tomorrow’s workforce and promoting a strong workforce today, high-quality child care provides a powerful two-generation approach to building the human capital that a prosperous and sustainable America requires. It supports parents: increasing completion of postsecondary education, raising labor force participation, increasing workforce productivity, and helping business attract and retain talent. And it ensures that children have the chance to develop well and begin kindergarten ready to thrive in school, work, and life.
To view the full report, please click HERE.